Thursday, July 28, 2011

Stupid self-publishing mistakes I have made: Incremental release

I started researching self publishing in advance of my book, My Particular Friend, in the event that I could not find an agent or publisher for it. Along the way, I decided that I could experiment with the book I had already written, Good Cop, Dead Cop. And so I learned how to format the book for the Kindle, and then the Nook, and then Lulu and iBooks and finally for CreateSpace as a real paperback.
Whenever I would finish one format I would advertise that edition through twitter and facebook and on book sharing sites like Shelfari and GoodReads. But now that I am soliciting reviews from places such as The Book Maven, I’m getting told that “Unfortunately we are only looking at upcoming titles moving forward.”

So I’ve learned my lesson. Submit my books to Amazon, Barnes & Noble and Apple with a publishing date set six months in the future and get my reviews lined up before the “publication date,” a meaningless term for self publishing, but apparently still relevant for review sites.

That said, I’d still love any reviews of Good Cop, Dead Cop at Amazon, Barnes & Noble, Apple, GoodReads and Shelfari.

No comments:

Post a Comment